Friday, June 20, 2008

What is it about train wrecks that so appeals to our morbid curiosity?

Is it just me or is there something subtly disturbing beneath the surface of America's Got Talent/Britain's Got Talent? Maybe it's the fact that Jerry Springer and David Hasselhoff are involved, both represent something twisted in their own way. But, it sometimes feels more like a freak show at a carnival then a real talent competition. Is it supposed to? I watch it and I am simultaneously amazed and nauseated.

I will confess that I was moved when I saw Paul Potts sing opera for the first time. Hearing such a huge voice come out of so homely a vessel represented to me the spark of divinity that exists in even the most humble. Yet, somehow this show profiting off this idea, it seems dirty. I've never actually watched the show, I've only seen clips on youtube, so I suppose that I have only been exposed to the most extreme of the acts, but what gives?

Check out some clips if you haven't seen it or am wondering what I am talking about.

Paul Potts



6 Year Old Connie



Indingo / Dracula Sisters



Bianca Ryan



Quick Change Artists



Contortionist



Another Baby Singer - The comments on this one are great (not part of the original show)



The most Annoying



I don't know, is it just me? Does the whole thing feel a bit unseemly? What do you get when you mix American Idol, the Gong Show, The Jerry Springer Show, Toddler Beauty Pagents, and Baywatch? Summer Primetime Television.

1 comment:

Jen - The Human Mountain Goat of the Wild West said...

I saw the Britain's Got Talent YouTube videos a while ago. I too was impressed with Paul Potts. Wasn't expecting much... but who would have thought? He reminded me a bit of Andrea Bocelli!

I would be lying if I said I didn't watch some reality TV from time to time. I mean who wouldn't want to see the dreams of bratty children and their psycho stage mothers smashed before the eyes of millions of viewers in "I Know My Kid's a Star", or the ups and downs of washed up celebrities of all kinds in "Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew" or the super egos of dancing dwarfs in matching outfits battling it out for the title "America's Best Dance Crew" hosted by Mario Lopez which shows the validity of this depravity (I actually felt my IQ drop during this one).

Is the world's morbid fascination with train wrecks all that new? According to my book "Carny Folk - The World's Weirdest Sideshow Acts" by Francine Homberger... it's not. It's been around a while but instead of gathering around the boob tube with some popcorn families would pile into their cars to go gawk at The Bearded Lady or The Wolf Man.

So, Jake you asked a good question... Is there a point where you put your foot down and say no more? But then there's always wise words from resident Carny expert, "Gil the Carnie, Carnival Folk Unite!"... and how can you resist?!

http://carniesaintcreepy.blogspot.com/