Monday, August 25, 2008

A few weeks ago I asked Traci if she had ever hiked Mt Olympus. When she said that she hadn't, I realized that it was time that we got in shape to do it. I did Mt. Olympus a couple of times, the first time was in high school. I hiked it with my neighbor, Jason Park. One day he showed up and said, "I want to hike Mt. Olympus, will you do it with me?" I foolishly said yes, not knowing the level of intensity the hike required. So he and I did it. It was really difficult. At the time is was the most physically demanding thing I had ever done. But, it was worth it when we reached the top. I did it again a few years later, it was still hard, but I was in better shape that second time.

Anyway, we are going to be hiking each week end. Two weeks ago we did a short hike in Park City and this last week end we did Alexander's Basin. Alexander's basin is about a 2 hour hike. It's 1.5 miles each way and you gain about 1300 feet. Here are some pictures from the basin.





We need suggestions for this weekend. We need something just slightly more intense than Alexander's Basin. So if any of you are hiking folks, chime in and let us know where our next summit lies. We would like to build up to doing Mt. Olympus in 6 weeks or so. So we need maybe a 2 1/2 to 3 hour, moderate intensity hike.

2 comments:

The G-Funk! said...

We look so pissed in that picture. And when I say we, I mean you.

Jen - The Human Mountain Goat of the Wild West said...

Gee, Jake. I'm going to have the second the motion on Gunderstruck's comment. You do look pissed... super pissed.

I wish I knew some good hiking trails. Unfortunately I'm lax in that department. It doesn't mean I don't have an interest. I love hiking... I just don't know the grades and intensities you're looking for. Actually one of my goals is to hike the 7 Summits. Hiking our mountains would be a great start to this plan. Now I'm not one to force myself on anyone but I thought the following could sell you on a possible Jake/Traci/Jen hike-o-rama...

Why this could be a good idea:
1) I got awesome new on trail/off trail Nike shoes. They should be put to good use.
2) Jen hiking up a mountain... could be good entertainment.
3) I always bring the best, kick-butt treats you've ever seen or eaten.
4) I will send you and Traci another pint of Mormon beer on Facebook.

I mean, what's to lose?