Saturday, July 26, 2008

My Talking Dog

My dog Riley has a blog now. You might be asking, "How's that?" Turns out that dogs are a lot more like people than we ever knew. Cats too, I understand. They are miniature versions of people, with all the same sophisticated thoughts and feelings that people have, only cuter. These pets opine about current events, celebrity lifestyles, fashion, public policy, you name it.

They want to dress up in fancy costumes and act out scenes from famous movies and plays, they just lack the dexterity to do this for themselves. Some pet owners are savvy and sympathetic enough to understand this fact and oblige, to the great satisfaction of both pet and owner.

Come to think of it, Riley and I have spent many an evening on the back porch in intense conversation. I usually struggle to keep up while Riley expounds the principles of economics and economic policy to me. She understands well the application of sophisticated theory to practical political problems. I have considered granting her permission to guest write posts on my blog from time to time. My only fear is that she will be overzealous at the opportunity to reach a wider audience (she is pretty conservative, almost libertarian) and will come across heavy handed. Still, I may grant her wish anyway. She has so much wisdom to offer.

3 comments:

I am Laura said...

Ben and I are loving Riley's blog and hope it picks up lots of traffic as she is a very intelligent and funny animal.

Jen - The Human Mountain Goat of the Wild West said...

Scientists have looked to the stars for hundreds of years in their quest to seek out extraterrestrial life. It has escaped them thus far that our talking pets may be the missing link. This theory was fully expounded in the "Men In Black" series, Frank the Pug was inhabited by an alien. Most of the time he just acted like a dog but no, he really was an alien. Perhaps our talking pets can send out mind waves that inspire us to dress them up in costumes because if I was an alien I too would want to act out famous scenes from movies and plays. Not only was "Planet of the Apes" the perfect vehicle for showcasing Charlton Heston's butt, it led to some thought provoking questions. Maybe animals will take over the world one day when humans have extinguished the earth's oil resources, bombed it with nukes and destroyed what is left with Al Gore's Global Warming™? Maybe the rise of talking pets was suppose to happen all along? Maybe our thespian loving, costume adorned pets are people... smart people but cuter? Maybe we are suppose to be more like our pets? Maybe... just maybe?

Riley Crockett - Pug of the Wild Frontier said...

More about me is what I want to see!